Did you know there is a secret formula to writing a screenplay?
Just about every successful movie (and I’m talking about those that smash it at the box office) is crafted using the same 3 step process. Apply the formula and you win. Ignore the formula and you lose. It’s that simple.
Here is the magic formula:
- A CHARACTER, who wants something, encounters a problem before they can get it
- At the peak of their despair, a GUIDE steps into their lives, gives them a PLAN and CALLS THEM TO ACTION
- That action helps them avoid FAILURE and it ends in SUCCESS
Let’s use the 1996 melodrama “Jerry Maguire” as an example to better illustrate the points above:
- Jerry Maguire (played by Tom Cruise) wants to start his own sports management firm, but he needs to hang onto some of the star athletes he currently represents
- Dorothy Boyd (played by Renee Zellweger) steps into his life to support him and together they hatch a plan to bring on board their prime target Rod Tidwell (played by Cuba Gooding Jr)
- Jerry and Dorothy fall in love, Rod Tidwell lands a final second touch-down that secures him his retirement contract, and everyone lives happily ever after (including that cute kid with the glasses)
It’s a classic plot, but it’s a strategic plot that is repeated every day in everything we watch on TV.
What can we learn from this?
- Your business should stop focusing on your product and service as the hero of your marketing story
- Your customer is the only hero of the story that is playing out in their heads 24/7
- Your product or service is the GUIDE
- To help the main CHARACTER avoid failure and succeed
Here is a great example of storytelling – When last did you see this TV advert?
Craft a story, focus on your customer as the main CHARACTER, become the GUIDE to help them SUCCEED. We like to do this type of story telling via email.
Until next time.